Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Unicorn Maiden

Although I was never one of those girls who went through a "horse stage", I've always had a special place in my heart for unicorns. I've been drawn to them for their beauty, for their fragility and rarity, but most of all for their purity. As Marianna Mayer said "the unicorn is the only fabulous beast that does not seem to have been conceived out of human fears. In even the earliest references he is fierce yet good, selfless yet solitary, but always mysteriously beautiful."

I watched The Last Unicorn this week. I found parts of it strange, and a bit childish, but overall it was entertaining, thought-provoking, and very beautiful. How true its moral, that in order to really live, to fully embrace the joys and wonders of life, you must also welcome sorrow and pain. You cannot love without letting yourself be hurt, but if you live your life without loving, than yours is a shallow, selfish exhistance, and not worthy of being called a life at all.

After finishing the movie, I was suddenly inspired to make a unicorn horn, or alicorn, for myself. I gathered together paper, silver trim, my glue gun and lots of glittery nail polish, and whipped one up that very evening. And here it is!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Alicorn is beautiful! What a lovely idea.

I reccomend reading the book, it portrays the message of the film much more deeply and I think in a more mature way.

Belle-Etoile said...

Thank you! Yes, it's on my list of books to read this summer.

stephanie dosen said...

*i love your whimsies*
i gotta go.. gotta make a horn too :)
xoxo